Friday, August 1, 2008

FINALLY ARRIVED!
















After 46 hours I crawled into my new bed...

I made it here to Thailand!  How exciting to start a new job, move into a new apartment, and be surrounded by a language I don't understand.  My trip, including exhausting, really began Monday evening when my parents drove me to the airport in Omaha.  I had been packing and preparing to leave for the last couple days-- and to my surprise the man behind the ticket counter said, "I'm sorry, your ticket has been cancelled."  Not only stunned was I, but disappointed and frustrated.  My dad and I tried to use the pay phones to call Thailand for such a long time.  However it was 6 AM in Thailand, not much open then.  

So we went home, regrouped, and after 2 AM I was assured tickets from Ekamai.  I woke up the next morning, checked my email, and... found no email with tickets.  Calling the Secretary again, I finally got tickets a new email, including tickets.  

The trip was equally as long as the ticket ordeal, just not as confusing.  Leaving on a Tuesday I arrived on a Thursday.  I was immediately taken to my apartment to shower, then to lunch, then to an orientation.  Not allowing myself to sleep before 8 PM, I crashed and was able to sleep quite a bit over night. My apartment is great!  I have internet, A/C, a couch, etc.  
Looking out my apartment:

There have been a lot of surprises so far, the biggest one is that I am in charge of a whole grade!  I thought I was just teaching Spanish and maybe one English class, well.... surprise!  I am the new 7th grade homeroom teacher!  


What is going to happen next?

This is my kitchen: it is small, cute, and right now still a mess. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Babe -- it looks really cute. Put more photos up when you get a chance!

Glad that you made it safely. Have fun this weekend.

Jess said...

CRAZY! I'm glad your apartment is comfortable, it sounds like quite the adventure...just don't make too many of those 7th graders fall in love with you ;) ..and don't fall for any of them! I'm sure that's illegal there too ;)

Eva AP said...

/th graders! You'll do fine!!! I mean the beginning might be hard, but you'll get them. I hope waking up so early in the morning